Girl dies as wall collapses in Mumbai
Mumbai: A two-year-old girl died and eight others were injured after a wall collapsed on a house following heaving rains at suburban Kurla in the wee hours Thursday.
The incident occurred at 3.30 am at Qureshi Nagar when a 15 feet wall collapsed on one of the houses in Yosuf Pathan Chawl, civic officials said.
The girl Jeeshan Abeed Hussain was rushed to a hospital where she was declared dead.
The injured, two men and six women, are recuperating at the Sion hospital, the officials said.
Meanwhile, heavy rains continued to lash the city since last night.
As per the Meteorological Department, Colaba recorded 63.2 mm and Santacruz 83.3 mm of rainfall since yesterday.
Incidents of water-logging were reported from several parts of city and suburbs like Vile Parle, Andheri Subway, Hindmata and others, civic officials said.
Trains on both Western and Central lines were running late by 10 minutes, Railway officials said.
Flight operations were normal, airport officials said.
A wall had collapsed at the airport yesterday.
"A portion of the wall around the international airport collapsed at 7 am on Wednesday. As the Mithi river runs close by, we have erected temporary fencing and will undertake
reconstruction work soon," airport officials said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative