Girl dies as wall collapses in Mumbai
Mumbai: A two-year-old girl died and eight others were injured after a wall collapsed on a house following heaving rains at suburban Kurla in the wee hours Thursday.
The incident occurred at 3.30 am at Qureshi Nagar when a 15 feet wall collapsed on one of the houses in Yosuf Pathan Chawl, civic officials said.
The girl Jeeshan Abeed Hussain was rushed to a hospital where she was declared dead.
The injured, two men and six women, are recuperating at the Sion hospital, the officials said.
Meanwhile, heavy rains continued to lash the city since last night.
As per the Meteorological Department, Colaba recorded 63.2 mm and Santacruz 83.3 mm of rainfall since yesterday.
Incidents of water-logging were reported from several parts of city and suburbs like Vile Parle, Andheri Subway, Hindmata and others, civic officials said.
Trains on both Western and Central lines were running late by 10 minutes, Railway officials said.
Flight operations were normal, airport officials said.
A wall had collapsed at the airport yesterday.
"A portion of the wall around the international airport collapsed at 7 am on Wednesday. As the Mithi river runs close by, we have erected temporary fencing and will undertake
reconstruction work soon," airport officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!