Give kits to dairies to detect milk adulteration: HC to govt
Mumbai: Taking a serious note of sale of `synthetic milk`, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed Maharashtra government to provide every dairy in the state with testing kits to detect the presence of chemicals.
A public interest litigation filed by Pune-based SM Joshi Memorial Association says that Food and Drug Administration had found presence of sodium lauryl ether sulphate (SLES), a carcinogenic, in milk samples.
Division bench of Justices DY Chandrachud and SC Gupte asked the FDA to state on affidavit whether the kits to detect chemicals such a sorbitol (a sweetener) and SLES, used to make synthetic milk, were provided to all the dairies -- private or cooperative -- by August 30.
"If the answer is in the negative, then we expect the government to indicate in what time limit these kits would be made available," the bench said.
Jane Cox, lawyer for the petitioner, stated that of the 15 FDA laboratories in the state, five were non-functional. The bench directed the government to recruit staff for these labs and provide them with adequate equipment.
Additional Government Pleader Samir Patil said the government had already sanctioned six mobile laboratories. The judges said they should be made functional at the earliest.
Cox said during raids in 2009, FDA found sorbitol and SLES adulteration for the first time. "The test methods available with the dairies are not equipped to detect these chemicals," she said, arguing that all the dairies in the state should be equipped with the necessary kits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health