Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday sought the city police commissioner`s response to allegations of threat received by social activist Mohammed Kasim Khan, whose sting operation led to suspension of 36 police personnel from Nehru Nagar police station for allegedly accepting bribe.
The court also directed the Commissioner to provide police protection to the petitioner.
Khan had informed a division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha that post the sting operation, he and his family had been receiving threat calls.
"Both the petitioner (Khan) and his family`s lives are in danger. He has to be given protection. We are also seeking the court to form a Special Investigation Team (SIT) comprising a retired judge, a senior police official and two other members to look into the matter," Khan`s advocate Ajit Shah argued.
He further told the court that the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), which registered an FIR against the 36 police personnel, has not taken any further steps.
"The petitioner has been summoned by ACB along with the electronic devices on which he had recorded the sting operation. We are apprehending that the evidence might be tampered with," Shah said.
The High Court on Wednesday directed the additional government pleader to take instructions from the Commissioner of Police himself on the allegations and posted the matter for hearing on May 10.
Khan had conducted a sting operation last month showing police personnel attached to the Nehru Nagar police station in suburban Kurla allegedly accepting bribe for allowing illegal construction in the area.
While seeking a SIT to be formed, Shah said, "The ACB is only probing against the suspended police personnel but our allegation of corruption is also against civic body officials. SIT can look into this also."
BMC counsel S M Modale told the court that the civic body has issued notices to the contractors for illegal construction and demolition work has also been carried out.