‘Goa defeat result of errors of local leaders’
Yavatmal: Maharashtra Congress chief,
Manikrao Thakre, on Saturday said that the party`s debacle in
the assembly election in neighbouring Goa was the result of
the errors of local leaders and the administration.
"It was because of lapses of local leaders and
administration," he said.
The Congress-led government could not retain power in
Thakre refused to comment on Congress`s bad performance
in other states, saying that they were not in his purview.
Talking about the party`s performance in Maharashtra, he
said, "We have come to power in three municipal corporations
this time, against one (Solapur) in the last election."
However, he admitted that calculations went wrong in
Mumbai and Nagpur, adding that performance there was being
Thakre denied the reports that he and Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan had a closed door discussion with NCP
supremo Sharad Pawar for seizing control of Yavatmal Zilla
Parishad, where Congress has emerged as the single-largest
party, but does not have absolute majority.
"I am sure that NCP`s state-level and national leadership
would not make a pact with non-secular parties," he said.
Talking about ban on cotton export, he said a delegation
from state Congress, headed by the CM, would meet the Prime
Minister and seek lifting of the ban.
Thakre admitted that cotton prices had crashed, leaving
farmers saddled with huge stocks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says