Goon lynched to death by furious mob in Nagpur
Nagpur: A notorious criminal involved in a number of illegal activities along with his brother, was allegedly lynched to death by an angry mob near the busy Amravati road here even as his sibling managed to flee from the spot, police said on Wednesday.
The accused Iqbal Sheikh alias Guru (30) was badly beaten up last night by swords, sticks, stones, cricket bats and wooden posts on a footpath near the slum colony in Sitabuldi here, they said.
The mob, including women, chased Sheikh from a nearby garden and continued to thrash him till he breathed his last.
Even after his death, people continued to vent their anger on him, police said.
Iqbal`s brother Akram Sheikh, who allegedly sold drugs and ran a gambling den in the slum close to the spot, somehow managed to escape the mob`s fury.
The staff from Sitabuldi police station, which rushed to the spot to control the situation, also faced the wrath of the crowd.
They smashed the windscreens of the police vehicle and marched to the police station, a few metres away from the spot and virtually laid siege to it.
According to police, the slum residents have alleged that the brother-duo had killed one person earlier in the day.
Police have registered cases against the mob and also against the duo for alleged murder. Further investigations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises