`Government not serious about Ambedkar memorial`
Nagpur: Republican Party of India (RPI) leader Ramdas Athawale alleged here on Sunday that the Maharashtra state government is not serious on constructing a memorial for Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar on Indu Mills land in Mumbai.
After the Maharashtra government adopted a resolution to build a memorial on the land during the winter session of state assembly in Nagpur, an all party delegation led by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar including Athawale himself, met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on December 31, who directed the Maharashtra government complete the formalities by January 31, Athawale told reporters.
He said despite being directed by the Prime Minister, the Maharashtra government has not initiated any steps in that direction, perhaps due to administrative problems.
To highlight the failure of both the state and the Centre on this issue, the RPI will take out a morcha on July 10 to the Vidhan Sabha in Mumbai when the autumn session begins in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets