`Government not serious about Ambedkar memorial`
Nagpur: Republican Party of India (RPI) leader Ramdas Athawale alleged here on Sunday that the Maharashtra state government is not serious on constructing a memorial for Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar on Indu Mills land in Mumbai.
After the Maharashtra government adopted a resolution to build a memorial on the land during the winter session of state assembly in Nagpur, an all party delegation led by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar including Athawale himself, met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on December 31, who directed the Maharashtra government complete the formalities by January 31, Athawale told reporters.
He said despite being directed by the Prime Minister, the Maharashtra government has not initiated any steps in that direction, perhaps due to administrative problems.
To highlight the failure of both the state and the Centre on this issue, the RPI will take out a morcha on July 10 to the Vidhan Sabha in Mumbai when the autumn session begins in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?