Government should take back awards from those who praise Narendra Modi: Mumbai Congress chief
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a controversial statement, Congress MLA Janardan Chandurkar said on Tuesday that those who publicly praise political leaders should return their Padma awards. The comments were made by Chandurkar at a public rally in South Mumbai.
He was quoted as saying, “Artists who are showing support to politicians should give up their Padma awards or else the government should strip them of their awards." This is being seen directed towards legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar who had recently endorsed her support for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the next Prime Minister of India.
The veteran singer, while speaking at the event to inaugurate a new hospital complex named after her late father Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune on November 01 had said that Modi was like a brother to her and she had known him for a long time. In a brief address, Lata had further said, "All of us want to see him become the Prime Minister. On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I hope our wishes would come true."
Reacting to the Congress leader’s statement, BJP spokesperson Nalin S Kholi tweeted, “Modi phobia at its worst. Lata ji praises Modi ji & the Congress demands that her awards should be taken back!”
Lata was bestowed with Bharat Ratna in 2001. She has also received Padma Bhushan in 1969, Padma Vibhushan in 1999 and Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1989, among other awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city