Government should take back awards from those who praise Narendra Modi: Mumbai Congress chief
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a controversial statement, Congress MLA Janardan Chandurkar said on Tuesday that those who publicly praise political leaders should return their Padma awards. The comments were made by Chandurkar at a public rally in South Mumbai.
He was quoted as saying, “Artists who are showing support to politicians should give up their Padma awards or else the government should strip them of their awards." This is being seen directed towards legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar who had recently endorsed her support for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the next Prime Minister of India.
The veteran singer, while speaking at the event to inaugurate a new hospital complex named after her late father Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune on November 01 had said that Modi was like a brother to her and she had known him for a long time. In a brief address, Lata had further said, "All of us want to see him become the Prime Minister. On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I hope our wishes would come true."
Reacting to the Congress leader’s statement, BJP spokesperson Nalin S Kholi tweeted, “Modi phobia at its worst. Lata ji praises Modi ji & the Congress demands that her awards should be taken back!”
Lata was bestowed with Bharat Ratna in 2001. She has also received Padma Bhushan in 1969, Padma Vibhushan in 1999 and Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1989, among other awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says