Government should take back awards from those who praise Narendra Modi: Mumbai Congress chief
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a controversial statement, Congress MLA Janardan Chandurkar said on Tuesday that those who publicly praise political leaders should return their Padma awards. The comments were made by Chandurkar at a public rally in South Mumbai.
He was quoted as saying, “Artists who are showing support to politicians should give up their Padma awards or else the government should strip them of their awards." This is being seen directed towards legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar who had recently endorsed her support for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the next Prime Minister of India.
The veteran singer, while speaking at the event to inaugurate a new hospital complex named after her late father Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune on November 01 had said that Modi was like a brother to her and she had known him for a long time. In a brief address, Lata had further said, "All of us want to see him become the Prime Minister. On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I hope our wishes would come true."
Reacting to the Congress leader’s statement, BJP spokesperson Nalin S Kholi tweeted, “Modi phobia at its worst. Lata ji praises Modi ji & the Congress demands that her awards should be taken back!”
Lata was bestowed with Bharat Ratna in 2001. She has also received Padma Bhushan in 1969, Padma Vibhushan in 1999 and Dada Saheb Phalke Award in 1989, among other awards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners