Governor calls for developing Vidarbha as agro-processing zone
Nagpur: Maharashtra Governor S Sankaranarayanan on Monday called for developing Vidarbha region as an agro-processing and medical tourist zone.
Vidarbha is ideal to emerge as an agro-processing hub and the city of Nagpur also has potential to become a medical tourism destination, he said.
"Vidarbha also has tremendous potential for tourism which is yet to be exploited. Projects like MIHAN hold the promise of transforming the economy of the region and its people. There is certainly need to expedite the project," he said.
Talking about the state`s second capital, he said, Nagpur enjoys tremendous advantage because of its strategic location and excellent connectivity within Maharashtra as well as with other states.
Entrepreneurs here will, therefore, have the advantage of a huge market for their products and services in the vicinity itself, he said.
"I have asked the state government to set up a university exclusively for vocational and skill-based education. Recently, I asked vice chancellors of agricultural universities to start skill development programmes for farmers also," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror