Governor condoles demise of former Maharashtra Governor Fazal
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao today expressed grief over the demise of former Governor of Maharashtra and Goa Mohammed Fazal.
Fazal, who was Maharashtra governor between 2002 and 2004, passed away at Allahabad this morning. He was 92.
In a message addressed to Fazal's son, the Governor said, "Fazal was 'one of the most illustrious Governors of Maharashtra'. Even though, he served as Governor of Maharashtra for just about two years between 2002 and 2004, he did immense good work in as diverse areas as development of backward areas of Maharashtra, advancement of higher education and welfare of people, especially the poor."
"He visited extensively in all parts of Maharashtra and directed the State Government to take urgent measures to tackle drought effectively. As Governor, he took keen interest in promoting the population control programme in the State. He also took various measures for the welfare of the staff of Raj Bhavan," it read.
"In his demise, Maharashtra has lost a good former Governor and a great humanist," Rao said.
Meanwhile, MNS chief Raj Thackeray met Rao at Raj Bhavan today. The courtesy visit by the MNS chief lasted for about half an hour, an official spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Vijay Mallya deliberately concealing his assets, banks to SC
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Kriti Sanon went for a Thailand vacation? Here's the truth!
- Bulandshahr rape: SC pulls up UP Govt, Azam Khan over controversial remark - Details inside
- Scorpene data leak 'a matter of serious concern', asked DCNS for urgent probe: Navy Chief Sunil Lanba
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501