Governor condoles demise of former Maharashtra Governor Fazal
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao today expressed grief over the demise of former Governor of Maharashtra and Goa Mohammed Fazal.
Fazal, who was Maharashtra governor between 2002 and 2004, passed away at Allahabad this morning. He was 92.
In a message addressed to Fazal's son, the Governor said, "Fazal was 'one of the most illustrious Governors of Maharashtra'. Even though, he served as Governor of Maharashtra for just about two years between 2002 and 2004, he did immense good work in as diverse areas as development of backward areas of Maharashtra, advancement of higher education and welfare of people, especially the poor."
"He visited extensively in all parts of Maharashtra and directed the State Government to take urgent measures to tackle drought effectively. As Governor, he took keen interest in promoting the population control programme in the State. He also took various measures for the welfare of the staff of Raj Bhavan," it read.
"In his demise, Maharashtra has lost a good former Governor and a great humanist," Rao said.
Meanwhile, MNS chief Raj Thackeray met Rao at Raj Bhavan today. The courtesy visit by the MNS chief lasted for about half an hour, an official spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley