Governor condoles demise of former Maharashtra Governor Fazal
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao today expressed grief over the demise of former Governor of Maharashtra and Goa Mohammed Fazal.
Fazal, who was Maharashtra governor between 2002 and 2004, passed away at Allahabad this morning. He was 92.
In a message addressed to Fazal's son, the Governor said, "Fazal was 'one of the most illustrious Governors of Maharashtra'. Even though, he served as Governor of Maharashtra for just about two years between 2002 and 2004, he did immense good work in as diverse areas as development of backward areas of Maharashtra, advancement of higher education and welfare of people, especially the poor."
"He visited extensively in all parts of Maharashtra and directed the State Government to take urgent measures to tackle drought effectively. As Governor, he took keen interest in promoting the population control programme in the State. He also took various measures for the welfare of the staff of Raj Bhavan," it read.
"In his demise, Maharashtra has lost a good former Governor and a great humanist," Rao said.
Meanwhile, MNS chief Raj Thackeray met Rao at Raj Bhavan today. The courtesy visit by the MNS chief lasted for about half an hour, an official spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured