Govt answerable for death of Jaitapur protester: Uddhav
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav
Thackeray on Monday said that his party would continue to oppose
the Jaitapur nuclear power project in coastal Ratnagiri
"Shiv Sena would oppose the project and continue its
agitation. The government would also have to answer the people
over the death of Tabrej Sayekar," Uddhav told reporters at
Sakhrinate, near Jaitapur, today.
He met the family members of Sayekar, who was killed in
police firing during the anti-project agitation last week. The
Sena leader also visited Ratnagiri civil hospital to meet
those injured in firing.
"The government would be supplying very little power to
the state from the 10,000 mw project... remaining power would
be sold to other states. Then why are we risking the lives of
our people?" he said.
Uddhav also criticised Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh
for changing his stand often on environmental implications of
On a question on his absence during the agitation last
week, Uddhav said, "The Sena always comes first to help people
in any emergency...Where were these people, who are
criticising me now, during the protest?"
Some newspapers and TV channels had pointed out that
Thackeray junior was at Kanha national park during this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31