Govt looking for alternative to Local Body Tax: Prithviraj Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today said the state government was looking for an alternative to the controversial Local Body Tax.
Chavan, while talking to reporters here, said he was not averse to the idea of introducing surcharge on VAT or Entry tax as an alternative.
Traders in the state are bitterly opposed to LBT, which is meant to replace the octroi, as the new tax system entails more paperwork and hassles.
The finance department was working on an alternative to LBT, Chavan said, adding that after it was finalised, an ordinance would be issued.
"I want autonomy of the local bodies to remain and am not opposed to a surcharge on VAT. But this will have to be implemented in the entire state. Mumbai (municipal corporation) does not want to scrap octroi," he said.
He lamented that LBT became an issue in the Lok Sabha campaign. "It was said that Congress fared badly because of LBT. I don`t think so because we did badly in Mumbai as well, and there is no LBT here," he added.
LBT was brought in 2009 after Mohan Gurnani of Federations of Association of Maharashtra (FAM) wrote to the government asking for scrapping octroi and introducing LBT, he said. "In fact, Gurnani suggested the name LBT," Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark