Govt nod to scientific deep drilling in Koyna seismic zone
New Delhi: The government on Thursday cleared a proposal to undertake scientific deep drilling in the Koyna intra-plate seismic zone in Maharashtra.
The deep drilling investigation in Koyna region, which has Koyna reservoir, will provide a unique opportunity to better understand the mechanism of reservoir-triggered earthquakes. This can help in developing a forecast model and assessing earthquake hazard in a stable continental region.
The main objective of the project is to undertake deep borehole (6-8 km) investigations in the Koyna-Warna region where earthquakes have been occurring in a restricted area of 20 x 30 sq km for the past five decades, including the largest earthquake of magnitude 6.3 in December 1967.
The total cost of the project, cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, is Rs 472 crore.
As a part of the project, there are plans to set up a research laboratory at Karad, which will serve as the operational centre for carrying out the research activities related to seismic, deep drilling, borehole investigations, core analysis and research in associated fields.
The project will also provide crucial insights into Deccan volcanism and mass extinction, thermal structure and state of stress in the lithosphere, geothermal potential of the West Coast Belt as well as the geothermal record of climate change in the region.
The project will be implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences through its Seismology Division, Centre for Seismology in collaboration with the CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read