Govt nod to scientific deep drilling in Koyna seismic zone
New Delhi: The government on Thursday cleared a proposal to undertake scientific deep drilling in the Koyna intra-plate seismic zone in Maharashtra.
The deep drilling investigation in Koyna region, which has Koyna reservoir, will provide a unique opportunity to better understand the mechanism of reservoir-triggered earthquakes. This can help in developing a forecast model and assessing earthquake hazard in a stable continental region.
The main objective of the project is to undertake deep borehole (6-8 km) investigations in the Koyna-Warna region where earthquakes have been occurring in a restricted area of 20 x 30 sq km for the past five decades, including the largest earthquake of magnitude 6.3 in December 1967.
The total cost of the project, cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, is Rs 472 crore.
As a part of the project, there are plans to set up a research laboratory at Karad, which will serve as the operational centre for carrying out the research activities related to seismic, deep drilling, borehole investigations, core analysis and research in associated fields.
The project will also provide crucial insights into Deccan volcanism and mass extinction, thermal structure and state of stress in the lithosphere, geothermal potential of the West Coast Belt as well as the geothermal record of climate change in the region.
The project will be implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences through its Seismology Division, Centre for Seismology in collaboration with the CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened