Govt relaxes timing for bars, restaurants on December 31
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has
permitted bars and restaurants to remain open all through the
night on December 31 for new year celebrations in Mumbai,
Thane and Navi Mumbai but boat parties along the coast have
been banned for the third time in a row due to the terror
"The state excise department has allowed the bars and
restaurants to remain open till 5 am on January 1, 2011.
Usually, these establishments are shut by 1.30 hours but due
to the New Year celebrations, the norms have been relaxed,"
Joint Police Commissioner (Law & Order) Rajnish Seth said.
"The boat parties along the coastline have been banned
as a precautionary measure in the wake of intelligence inputs.
Earlier also, for two years, the boat parties were not allowed
due to the security reasons," Seth added.
The loudspeakers will be allowed to play till 12.00 AM
in an open ground, instead of 10 PM deadline.
The hotels which conduct performances in their premises
can also play loudspeakers till 12 AM, he added.
In the wake of intelligence inputs that four alleged
members of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT)
had sneaked into the city to carry out "violent" attacks,
tight security will be maintained during the celebrations.
On December 23, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime)
Himanshu Roy had said the four jihadis - Abdul Kareem
Moosa, Noor Abu Ilahi, Walid Jinnah and Mahfooz Alam- had
recently sneaked into the city to carry out dangerous
Roy had released a sketch of Jinnah and issued an
advisory to the citizens of the metropolis to remain alert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail