Govt relaxes timing for bars, restaurants on December 31
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has
permitted bars and restaurants to remain open all through the
night on December 31 for new year celebrations in Mumbai,
Thane and Navi Mumbai but boat parties along the coast have
been banned for the third time in a row due to the terror
"The state excise department has allowed the bars and
restaurants to remain open till 5 am on January 1, 2011.
Usually, these establishments are shut by 1.30 hours but due
to the New Year celebrations, the norms have been relaxed,"
Joint Police Commissioner (Law & Order) Rajnish Seth said.
"The boat parties along the coastline have been banned
as a precautionary measure in the wake of intelligence inputs.
Earlier also, for two years, the boat parties were not allowed
due to the security reasons," Seth added.
The loudspeakers will be allowed to play till 12.00 AM
in an open ground, instead of 10 PM deadline.
The hotels which conduct performances in their premises
can also play loudspeakers till 12 AM, he added.
In the wake of intelligence inputs that four alleged
members of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT)
had sneaked into the city to carry out "violent" attacks,
tight security will be maintained during the celebrations.
On December 23, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime)
Himanshu Roy had said the four jihadis - Abdul Kareem
Moosa, Noor Abu Ilahi, Walid Jinnah and Mahfooz Alam- had
recently sneaked into the city to carry out dangerous
Roy had released a sketch of Jinnah and issued an
advisory to the citizens of the metropolis to remain alert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read