Govt to probe allotment of MHADA flats to legislators
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Government will
conduct an enquiry to ascertain whether present and former
legislators were allotted MHADA flats in violation of the rule
that bars those already possessing houses in Mumbai from
applying for government accommodation.
"We will enquire if any minister or legislator has
been allotted flats in MHADA HIG scheme in suburban Mumbai
despite their possessing a house in the city," Minister of
State for Housing, Sachin Ahir said.
The government will issue show cause notices to those
found guilty, Ahir said.
The Minister`s statement comes a day after the
government called off a ceremony where the allottees were to
be handed over keys to the flats by Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan and his deputy Chhagan Bhujbal.
Media reports have alleged that several among the 200
odd sitting and former legislators and ministers, who were
allotted flats in a housing society in Versova by state housing body MHADA, already had houses in Mumbai.
rules prohibit those already possessing houses in the city
from applying for flats built by the state government
The reports said that the allotments could be
cancelled if the allotee legislators or their spouses had
houses in their names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees