`Govt wants to develop Mumbai in a balanced way`: Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said that his government was aiming
to develop Mumbai by striking a balance between infrastructure
upgradation and providing dignified housing to the people.
He was speaking to reporters after inaugurating the
`Janata Darbar` initiative restarted by the state unit
Chavan denied the charges that his recent decision of
granting increased FSI for redevelopment and reconstruction of
16,000 old and cessed buildings in the island city of Mumbai
would put an extra burden on city`s infrastrcuture.
"Our objective is to ensure city`s development with a
balance between infrastructure upgradation and providing
dignified housing to the people. Tenants in the old cessed
buildings have been living there for several years and
now the structures have become dangerous and need
redevelopment. This was a long pending issue," Chavan said.
He also rejected the criticism that the decision was
taken with an eye on BMC polls. "Such criticism is
unwarranted. The administration will not be able to do any
work if such attitude persists," Chavan added.
He said the tenants of cessed buildings will have
larger houses with fire safety measures, more open spaces and
the new structures will be allowed only after scrutiny from
high rise and heritage committees.
"Due to the lack of good quality residential homes here,
the economic activity in Mumbai is coming down and our effort
is to improve this situation,"he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Radiotherapy can affect lung cancer patients adversely
- Coolpad announces a price cut on Note 3 smartphone in India
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray asks Maharashtra CM Fadnavis to quit for supporting Vidarbha
- Horror! In chilling reminder of Delhi gang-rape, woman in Kerala brutally raped, intestines pulled out
- Cong accuses PM Modi of doctoring birth details, education info; threatens to expose facts