GPS fitted on 30 Mumbai police vehicles not functioning
Mumbai: The Global Positioning System (GPS)
installed on about 30 vehicles of Mumbai police was found to be not functioning with computers in the police control room unable to trace them, the newly appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik found to his dismay on his maiden
visit to the control room.
The new Police Commissioner inspected the control room
early this week and examined the working system there,
including the computers that track police vehicles fitted with
"I sought to know why some vehicles on patrolling duty
could not be traced in the computers despite GPS and
Geographic Information System (GIS) systems fitted on them. I
was told the equipment on these vehicles are not functioning
due to some technical problems," Patnaik said.
"I ordered that the contractor concerned should
immediately ensure that these systems start functioning. I
don`t know since when they were not working," he added.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographic
Information System (GIS) are space-based global navigation
satellite systems that provide reliable location and time
information of the vehicle it is fitted with.
City Police`s 500 vehicles--vans and jeeps-- have been
fitted with the GPS and the GIS systems so that the movements
of the vehicles can be tracked and could be diverted to the
locations required in case of emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Champions League final goal like losing virginity – Sergio Ramos
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics
- Scramble begins in BJP's Kerala unit for union ministry berth
- Afghan Taliban struggle to select Mansour's successor
- Medium intensity earthquake in Assam