GPS fitted on 30 Mumbai police vehicles not functioning
Mumbai: The Global Positioning System (GPS)
installed on about 30 vehicles of Mumbai police was found to be not functioning with computers in the police control room unable to trace them, the newly appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik found to his dismay on his maiden
visit to the control room.
The new Police Commissioner inspected the control room
early this week and examined the working system there,
including the computers that track police vehicles fitted with
"I sought to know why some vehicles on patrolling duty
could not be traced in the computers despite GPS and
Geographic Information System (GIS) systems fitted on them. I
was told the equipment on these vehicles are not functioning
due to some technical problems," Patnaik said.
"I ordered that the contractor concerned should
immediately ensure that these systems start functioning. I
don`t know since when they were not working," he added.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographic
Information System (GIS) are space-based global navigation
satellite systems that provide reliable location and time
information of the vehicle it is fitted with.
City Police`s 500 vehicles--vans and jeeps-- have been
fitted with the GPS and the GIS systems so that the movements
of the vehicles can be tracked and could be diverted to the
locations required in case of emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?