Grover murder: HC admits Jerome`s appeal
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday admitted
an appeal filed by former naval officer Emile Jerome, challenging the 10-year sentence awarded to him for the murder of media professional Neeraj Grover.
Justice R C Chavan admitted Jerome`s appeal and kept his
bail hearing after two weeks.
Meanwhile, the Maharashtra government informed the court
that it would be filing an appeal next week seeking
enhancement of punishment for both Jerome and his Kannada
actress fiancé Maria Susairaj.
While Jerome was convicted under charges of culpable
homicide not amounting to murder, Susairaj was sentenced to
three years imprisonment on a lesser charge of destruction of
Jerome in his appeal blamed Susairaj for the murder of
"That motive, if any, was with Susairaj for committing the offence and not with him," the appeal said.
It further stated that prosecution had not been able to
ascertain the time of Grover`s death and hence it cannot be
ruled out that Grover was already dead when Jerome landed in
According to the prosecution, Grover was stabbed to death
by Jerome and Susairaj at her flat on May 7, 2008 following a
fight. The duo then allegedly chopped his body into pieces and
disposed it off at Manor jungle in the outskirts of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan
- Laver Cup: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal to play doubles together
- Scorpene submarine data leak: French ex-naval officer's hand suspected; 'serious matter', says Opposition
- No U-turn by Rahul Gandhi on RSS role: Digivjay Singh
- US Open: After clinching second Olympic gold, Andy Murray eyes fourth Grand Slam title