Grover murder: Lawyer arrested for threatening witness
Mumbai: In a development in TV executive
Neeraj Grover murder case, police on Wednesday arrested defence
lawyer Acharya Murthy on charges of threatening a witness.
This was confirmed by JCP (Crime) Rakesh Maria.
Murthy was earlier defending prime accused and Kannada
actress Maria Susairaj in the murder case.
Police had last month arrested two persons, Raju Wankhede
(37), a small time real estate agent, and Munshi Yadav (38) on
similar charges of threatening witness Usha Ramalu, asking her
not to depose against Susairaj.
Investigation had indicated that the two accused acted at
the behest of Susairaj`s lawyers Acharya Murthy and Raja
Following the allegations, the lawyers withdrew from the
case and refuted their role in warning the witness.
The probe revealed that the two arrested accused were in
touch with lawyers Murthy and Thakur. The mobile records show
that the two lawyers had spoken to the accused on several
occasions during the period when they threatened the witness.
According to police, on September 5, the arrested accused
Yadav and Wankhede had gone to witness Ramalu`s residence and
told her not to depose against Susairaj.
As per the FIR filed by Ramalu in suburban Goregaon
police station, Yadav had come to her house and told her not
to say anything against Susairaj in the court. The witness
also said Yadav took her outside the house and made her speak
The witness claimed she was subsequently made to speak to
Thakur, one of the actress` lawyers, over mobile phone.
Grover, creative head of a TV production house, was
killed here on May 7 last year.
According to the prosecution, Susairaj and her fiance
Navy officer Emile Jerome Mathew had allegedly stabbed Grover
to death after an altercation at former`s residence. They then
chopped the body into pieces and threw them in a forest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics