`Gurupoornima` celebrated with religious fervour in Shirdi
Shirdi (Maha): A large number of devotees from various parts of the country thronged the famous Saibaba temple here and paid obeisance to Baba on the occasion of `Gurupoornima` on Tuesday.
Maharashtra ministers Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, his father and former Union Minister Balasaheb Vikhe-Patil, Babanrao Pachpute, the Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar district, and former Saibaba Sansthan`s chairman Jayant Sasane also visited the temple.
About 150 foreigners also visited the shrine while an NRI donated USD 33,000 to the Sansthan on the occasion and another devotee donated a 90 gm gold necklace, sources said.
Earlier, Sansthan`s chairman and Principal District Judge of Ahmednagar, Jayant Kulkarni performed a special `puja` at the temple.
The Sansthan provided free meals to over 75,000 people on the occasion, sources said, adding that various religious programmes were being organised during the three-day Gurupoornima festival.
`Gurupoornima` was also observed in various temples in Nashik and the neighbouring pilgrimage town of Trimbakeshwar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY