Hand over mill land by Dec 6 for Ambedkar memorial
Mumbai: The Indu Mill land here should be handed over by December 6 for building a memorial of Babasaheb Ambedkar, Maharashtra`s ruling Congress said Monday.
State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre made the demand to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan after a function organised at Gandhi Bhawan here to mark the "Samvidhan Din" (the day when the Constitution was adopted in 1949).
"The Chief Minister has responded positively to the demand," an MPCC spokesperson said.
"Thakre told Chavan that December 6 is the death anniversary of Ambedkar and it would be appropriate if the land for the memorial is handed over by then," the spokesperson said.
The MPCC demand comes in the backdrop of a raging debate over the site for Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s memorial.
After Maharashtra Navnirman Sena suggested that it be located on the Indu Mill land, Dalit leaders threatened to forcibly take possession of the land if it was not released by December 6 for a memorial to the architect of India`s Constitution.
The land in Dadar, Central Mumbai, belongs to the National Textile Corporation.
Last week, corporators from Congress and Raj Thackeray -led MNS had suggested that a memorial to late Sena patriarch be constructed on the Indu Mills land.
The Centre has given in-principle approval for transfer of the land, once owned by now defunct Indu Mill, for building the Dalit icon`s memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP