Hand over mill land by Dec 6 for Ambedkar memorial
Mumbai: The Indu Mill land here should be handed over by December 6 for building a memorial of Babasaheb Ambedkar, Maharashtra`s ruling Congress said Monday.
State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre made the demand to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan after a function organised at Gandhi Bhawan here to mark the "Samvidhan Din" (the day when the Constitution was adopted in 1949).
"The Chief Minister has responded positively to the demand," an MPCC spokesperson said.
"Thakre told Chavan that December 6 is the death anniversary of Ambedkar and it would be appropriate if the land for the memorial is handed over by then," the spokesperson said.
The MPCC demand comes in the backdrop of a raging debate over the site for Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray`s memorial.
After Maharashtra Navnirman Sena suggested that it be located on the Indu Mill land, Dalit leaders threatened to forcibly take possession of the land if it was not released by December 6 for a memorial to the architect of India`s Constitution.
The land in Dadar, Central Mumbai, belongs to the National Textile Corporation.
Last week, corporators from Congress and Raj Thackeray -led MNS had suggested that a memorial to late Sena patriarch be constructed on the Indu Mills land.
The Centre has given in-principle approval for transfer of the land, once owned by now defunct Indu Mill, for building the Dalit icon`s memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends