Hand over probe into 13/7 Mum blasts to NIA: PIL
Mumbai: A PIL has been filed in the
Bombay High Court demanding that the probe into the July 13
triple bomb blasts in the metropolis be handed over to a
Central agency, such as the NIA or the CBI.
"It is an attack on the nation, and it is the Centre`s
responsibility to protect the nation," argued advocate VP
Patil, the petitioner, in the court on Friday.
At least 27 persons were killed and scores of others
injured in the explosions at Dadar, Zavari Bazaar and Opera
House areas. Maharashtra ATS is probing the serial blasts, but
no arrests have been made till now.
Patil pointed out that the probe into the blast near
Delhi High Court, which took place on September 7, had already
been handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
"There has been no progress in the probe (of Mumbai
case)," he maintained.
While asking the Maharashtra government to file a
reply to the PIL, a Division Bench of Justices Sharad Bobde
and VK Tahilramani, however, seemed to disagree with the
"Prima facie, we are not inclined to accept your
argument," Justice Bobde maintained.
"We cannot assume that Anti-Terrorism Squad (of
Maharashtra Police) is not competent, or that there is no
coordination between (central and state) agencies," he said.
When Patil mentioned about NIA taking over the Delhi
HC blast probe, the Judge said, "Delhi is the national
Advocate Patil promptly said "Mumbai is the commercial
The hearing was adjourned for a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed