Hand over probe into 13/7 Mum blasts to NIA: PIL

Last Updated: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 20:19

Mumbai: A PIL has been filed in the
Bombay High Court demanding that the probe into the July 13
triple bomb blasts in the metropolis be handed over to a
Central agency, such as the NIA or the CBI.

"It is an attack on the nation, and it is the Centre`s
responsibility to protect the nation," argued advocate VP
Patil, the petitioner, in the court on Friday.

At least 27 persons were killed and scores of others
injured in the explosions at Dadar, Zavari Bazaar and Opera
House areas. Maharashtra ATS is probing the serial blasts, but
no arrests have been made till now.

Patil pointed out that the probe into the blast near
Delhi High Court, which took place on September 7, had already
been handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

"There has been no progress in the probe (of Mumbai
case)," he maintained.

While asking the Maharashtra government to file a
reply to the PIL, a Division Bench of Justices Sharad Bobde
and VK Tahilramani, however, seemed to disagree with the
petitioner`s contention.

"Prima facie, we are not inclined to accept your
argument," Justice Bobde maintained.

"We cannot assume that Anti-Terrorism Squad (of
Maharashtra Police) is not competent, or that there is no
coordination between (central and state) agencies," he said.

When Patil mentioned about NIA taking over the Delhi
HC blast probe, the Judge said, "Delhi is the national
capital..."

Advocate Patil promptly said "Mumbai is the commercial
capital".

The hearing was adjourned for a week.

PTI



First Published: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 20:19

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus