Hand over probe into 13/7 Mum blasts to NIA: PIL
Mumbai: A PIL has been filed in the
Bombay High Court demanding that the probe into the July 13
triple bomb blasts in the metropolis be handed over to a
Central agency, such as the NIA or the CBI.
"It is an attack on the nation, and it is the Centre`s
responsibility to protect the nation," argued advocate VP
Patil, the petitioner, in the court on Friday.
At least 27 persons were killed and scores of others
injured in the explosions at Dadar, Zavari Bazaar and Opera
House areas. Maharashtra ATS is probing the serial blasts, but
no arrests have been made till now.
Patil pointed out that the probe into the blast near
Delhi High Court, which took place on September 7, had already
been handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
"There has been no progress in the probe (of Mumbai
case)," he maintained.
While asking the Maharashtra government to file a
reply to the PIL, a Division Bench of Justices Sharad Bobde
and VK Tahilramani, however, seemed to disagree with the
"Prima facie, we are not inclined to accept your
argument," Justice Bobde maintained.
"We cannot assume that Anti-Terrorism Squad (of
Maharashtra Police) is not competent, or that there is no
coordination between (central and state) agencies," he said.
When Patil mentioned about NIA taking over the Delhi
HC blast probe, the Judge said, "Delhi is the national
Advocate Patil promptly said "Mumbai is the commercial
The hearing was adjourned for a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened