Hasan Ali held for getting passport on false info
Pune: Businessman Hasan Ali Khan, who is facing trial in a case of money-laundering and tax evasion, has been arrested by Pune police in a case of furnishing "false information to obtain passport," police said on Tuesday.
Khan was arrested yesterday by Chatushringi police which obtained his custody from Central Jail in Arthur Road area of Mumbai.
Inspector SA Nikam (crime) questioned Khan and recorded his statement. He was then produced before Judicial Magistrate First Class K M Pingale, who remanded him in judicial custody.
The Pune Police was directed to keep him in Yerwada Central Jail in Pune until further orders.
The Pune passport officer had filed a complaint against Khan for allegedly giving false information while renewing his passport in 2004.
The passport office has alleged in its complaint that while applying for renewal of his passport in Pune passport office office, Khan had deliberately not disclosed about other passports he had obtained from Patna, Chandigarh and Guwahati passport offices.
Khan also had furnished "false residential proof to obtain the passport," the complaint alleged.
The Bombay High Court, on March 6, had rejected the bail of Khan in the alleged money-laundering and tax evasion cases. Khan had pleaded that the chargesheet in these cases had not been filed and hence he should be given liberty.
However, Justice RC Chavan, rejected his plea after Enforcement Directorate argued that he may abscond or tamper with evidence if he was granted bail.
Khan, accused of having USD 8 billion in Union Bank of Switzerland, was arrested in 2011 and his bail plea had been rejected in September that year by the Supreme Court.
Another bail plea was rejected in October last year by a special court under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
Khan is facing allegation of obtaining five passports in different names and transacting huge amounts in Swiss banks. He is also under the scanner for alleged terror links, as he is suspected to have laundered money of international arms trader Adnan Khashoggi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’