Hasan Ali held for getting passport on false info
Pune: Businessman Hasan Ali Khan, who is facing trial in a case of money-laundering and tax evasion, has been arrested by Pune police in a case of furnishing "false information to obtain passport," police said on Tuesday.
Khan was arrested yesterday by Chatushringi police which obtained his custody from Central Jail in Arthur Road area of Mumbai.
Inspector SA Nikam (crime) questioned Khan and recorded his statement. He was then produced before Judicial Magistrate First Class K M Pingale, who remanded him in judicial custody.
The Pune Police was directed to keep him in Yerwada Central Jail in Pune until further orders.
The Pune passport officer had filed a complaint against Khan for allegedly giving false information while renewing his passport in 2004.
The passport office has alleged in its complaint that while applying for renewal of his passport in Pune passport office office, Khan had deliberately not disclosed about other passports he had obtained from Patna, Chandigarh and Guwahati passport offices.
Khan also had furnished "false residential proof to obtain the passport," the complaint alleged.
The Bombay High Court, on March 6, had rejected the bail of Khan in the alleged money-laundering and tax evasion cases. Khan had pleaded that the chargesheet in these cases had not been filed and hence he should be given liberty.
However, Justice RC Chavan, rejected his plea after Enforcement Directorate argued that he may abscond or tamper with evidence if he was granted bail.
Khan, accused of having USD 8 billion in Union Bank of Switzerland, was arrested in 2011 and his bail plea had been rejected in September that year by the Supreme Court.
Another bail plea was rejected in October last year by a special court under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
Khan is facing allegation of obtaining five passports in different names and transacting huge amounts in Swiss banks. He is also under the scanner for alleged terror links, as he is suspected to have laundered money of international arms trader Adnan Khashoggi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal