Hasan case: Don`t seek unnecessary adjournments, HC tells ED
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed
the Enforcement Directorate to ensure that no unnecessary
adjournments are taken before the special court which is
hearing the case of Pune-based businessman Hasan Ali Khan,
arrested for alleged money laundering activities.
The division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and R V
More was hearing an application filed by Khan`s lawyer, I P
Bagaria, alleging that ED`s prosecutors appear without proper
notification of their appointment, so they lack authority to
represent the agency.
According to Bagaria, under the Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA), under which Khan has been booked, a
notification by the central government appointing the public
prosecutor is indispensable.
"No prosecutor has been appointed for the special court
(for ED cases) since 2005. When objection is raised by the
defence lawyers, ED seeks unnecessary adjournments," Bagaria
Additional Solicitor General, Darius Khambatta, assured
the High Court that the government was in the process of
issuing a notification.
Following this, the bench asked the agency to expedite
the process and ensure that no further adjournments are
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh