Hasan case: Don`t seek unnecessary adjournments, HC tells ED
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed
the Enforcement Directorate to ensure that no unnecessary
adjournments are taken before the special court which is
hearing the case of Pune-based businessman Hasan Ali Khan,
arrested for alleged money laundering activities.
The division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and R V
More was hearing an application filed by Khan`s lawyer, I P
Bagaria, alleging that ED`s prosecutors appear without proper
notification of their appointment, so they lack authority to
represent the agency.
According to Bagaria, under the Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA), under which Khan has been booked, a
notification by the central government appointing the public
prosecutor is indispensable.
"No prosecutor has been appointed for the special court
(for ED cases) since 2005. When objection is raised by the
defence lawyers, ED seeks unnecessary adjournments," Bagaria
Additional Solicitor General, Darius Khambatta, assured
the High Court that the government was in the process of
issuing a notification.
Following this, the bench asked the agency to expedite
the process and ensure that no further adjournments are
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?