Hate speech: FIR filed against Praveen Togadia
Mumbai: As the demand for action against Praveen Togadia over his alleged hate speech intensified, an FIR was filed on Thursday against the VHP leader at Nanded district in Maharashtra.
"An FIR (first information report) has been registered against Togadia for the alleged hate speech in Nanded last month. The matter is under investigation," Maharashtra`s Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Ahmed Javed told a news agency.
"If Togadia`s speech is found to be communal or offensive, action will be taken against him. This is the standard procedure," Javed said.
The police action comes after the Maharashtra government ordered an inquiry into the provocative speeches made by Togadia in Nanded last month against members of a particular community.
The state government, after being asked by the Centre to investigate into allegations of Togadia’s provocative speeches, assured it of due legal process.
"The Home Ministry`s advise is clear. Once they have confirmed forensic evidence, appropriate action as per law must be taken against Togadia," an official said in New Delhi.
At a public meeting at Bhokar town in Nanded district of Maharashtra on January 22— details of which are now surfacing after a video-recording was posted online— Togadia had allegedly attacked Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi and members of a particular community.
Owaisi was sent to jail on charges of delivering a hate speech at Nirmal town in Adilabad district of Andhra Pradesh last month.
The VHP leader had also triggered a controversy by making a controversial speech on February 1 near Adilabad in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!