Have addressed state-level concerns with Narayan Rane: Prithviraj Chavan
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Tuesday that he had addressed state-level concerns with Narayan Rane and that other issues he would communicate to the central Congress leadership.
Chavan posted on the micro-blogging site Twitter - “Narayan Rane met me today and raised some issues. I have addressed state-level concerns. Other issues I will communicate to central leadership.”
#NarayanRane met me today & raised some issues. I have addressed state-level concerns. Other issues I will communicate to central leadership
— Prithviraj Chavan (@prithvrj) July 22, 2014
A day after Konkan strongman Rane quit the Maharashtra cabinet, efforts to persuade him to take back his resignation failed today and the matter would now be referred to Congress president Sonia Gandhi for resolving it.
Rane, who had a closed-door meeting with Chavan and state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre to iron out the issues that led to his stepping down, remained unpacified and insisted on acceptance of his resignation.
"It was decided that the Chief Minister will seek an appointment with Sonia Gandhi in the next couple of days. I, Chavan and Manikrao Thakre will then meet her to discuss issues I have raised," Rane told reporters, as per PTI.
"Chavan tried to persuade me to withdraw my resignation and work in the government and the party, saying that my services were needed. But I responded by telling him that the issues raised by me in my resignation letter need to be addressed first," he said.
Asked if he was offered the post of state Congress president as a solution to the impasse, he said," No such offer was made. The solution lies in acceptance of my resignation."
Though contents of his resignation letter are not known, Rane has made public his discontent with the Congress leadership for not making him the chief minister, a promise he claims was made to him when he joined the party after quitting Shiv Sena in 2005.
Rane, a former Shiv sena chief minister, had also slammed Chavan for tardy decision-making and lack of control over administration. He said with Chavan at the helm, the party`s prospects in the assembly elections, due in October, were bleak.
Rane`s posturing in the run up to the assembly polls has caused considerable discomfiture for the Congress, still smarting from the worst-ever defeat in the Lok Sabha elections when its tally in the state plunged to just two seats. With ally NCP, the party had managed to clinch only six of Maharashtra`s 48 Lok Sabha seats.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown