Haveliwala knew road, traffic well: Court
Mumbai: A special judge who convicted NRI beautician Nooriya Haveliwala and sentenced her to five years of rigours imprisonment in an accident case, has stressed the importance of safe driving in his judgement, noting that she knew the road well.
"Road drivers are expected to take due care... To keep safe distance is equally important," I M Bohari said yesterday in his 35-page judgement, the copy of which was made available on Friday.
Nooriya crashed her SUV into six persons, killing two and injuring others, in January 2010. She was found to be drunk at the time.
The court observed that she knew the road and the traffic well.
"Haveliwala was a resident of Colaba and she was acquainted with roads and signals," it said.
Haveliwala`s lawyers had argued that the road was dark, and a taxi was standing unexpectedly at the spot.
As to the argument that she first hit the taxi and later her car turned 180 degrees before hitting the deceased persons, the court observes that when the driver is drunk, he or she cannot take the defence that victim was not directly hit.
She was alleged to have consumed cannabis at the time too. The court, however, acquitted her of the charge under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, as the police did not follow the procedure laid down by the Supreme Court and high court regarding the collection of blood sample of the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!