Haveliwala knew road, traffic well: Court
Mumbai: A special judge who convicted NRI beautician Nooriya Haveliwala and sentenced her to five years of rigours imprisonment in an accident case, has stressed the importance of safe driving in his judgement, noting that she knew the road well.
"Road drivers are expected to take due care... To keep safe distance is equally important," I M Bohari said yesterday in his 35-page judgement, the copy of which was made available on Friday.
Nooriya crashed her SUV into six persons, killing two and injuring others, in January 2010. She was found to be drunk at the time.
The court observed that she knew the road and the traffic well.
"Haveliwala was a resident of Colaba and she was acquainted with roads and signals," it said.
Haveliwala`s lawyers had argued that the road was dark, and a taxi was standing unexpectedly at the spot.
As to the argument that she first hit the taxi and later her car turned 180 degrees before hitting the deceased persons, the court observes that when the driver is drunk, he or she cannot take the defence that victim was not directly hit.
She was alleged to have consumed cannabis at the time too. The court, however, acquitted her of the charge under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, as the police did not follow the procedure laid down by the Supreme Court and high court regarding the collection of blood sample of the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery