Hawker dies during patrolling, Dhoble transferred
Mumbai: A CID probe was ordered today into the death of a 55-year-old roadside hawker during a drive against them in suburban Santacruz here led by ACP Vasant Dhoble, who has been transferred following the incident.
However, medical reports suggested that the victim died of brain hemorrhage and not due to heart attack as was alleged earlier and there were no external injuries on his body.
This may come as a relief to the controversial Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) amidst allegations that hawkers, including the victim, were thrashed during the raid.
According to police, Dhoble was patrolling the Nehru Road area in Santacruz last evening when the hawkers got a whiff of it and began fleeing the spot, but re-arranged the stalls once the police officer left. However, he returned to check the streets again.
Panicked, the hawkers began to run helter-skelter when one of them, Madan Jaiswal collapsed, police said.
Jaiswal was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival, police said adding that other hawkers had claimed Jaiswal had died of heart attack.
Enraged, several street hawkers gathered outside the Vakola police station demanding action against the senior policeman.
Extending her support, Congress MP Priya Dutt also demanded action against the errant policemen.
Subsequently, a CID probe was initiated into the matter and Dhoble was transferred out of the Vakola division in western suburban Mumbai to the police control room in South Mumbai, police added.
The body was taken to government-run J J hospital, where the post-mortem was conducted.
"The post-mortem report says Jaiswal died of brain hemorrhage. There was bleeding in his brain. No external injuries were found on the body. Jaiwal had also been suffering from tuberculosis (TB)," T P Lahane, Dean of the hospital told PTI.
The ACP made headlines last year for his infamous raids late night against pubs and restaurants in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack