Hawker dies during patrolling, Dhoble transferred
Mumbai: A CID probe was ordered today into the death of a 55-year-old roadside hawker during a drive against them in suburban Santacruz here led by ACP Vasant Dhoble, who has been transferred following the incident.
However, medical reports suggested that the victim died of brain hemorrhage and not due to heart attack as was alleged earlier and there were no external injuries on his body.
This may come as a relief to the controversial Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) amidst allegations that hawkers, including the victim, were thrashed during the raid.
According to police, Dhoble was patrolling the Nehru Road area in Santacruz last evening when the hawkers got a whiff of it and began fleeing the spot, but re-arranged the stalls once the police officer left. However, he returned to check the streets again.
Panicked, the hawkers began to run helter-skelter when one of them, Madan Jaiswal collapsed, police said.
Jaiswal was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival, police said adding that other hawkers had claimed Jaiswal had died of heart attack.
Enraged, several street hawkers gathered outside the Vakola police station demanding action against the senior policeman.
Extending her support, Congress MP Priya Dutt also demanded action against the errant policemen.
Subsequently, a CID probe was initiated into the matter and Dhoble was transferred out of the Vakola division in western suburban Mumbai to the police control room in South Mumbai, police added.
The body was taken to government-run J J hospital, where the post-mortem was conducted.
"The post-mortem report says Jaiswal died of brain hemorrhage. There was bleeding in his brain. No external injuries were found on the body. Jaiwal had also been suffering from tuberculosis (TB)," T P Lahane, Dean of the hospital told PTI.
The ACP made headlines last year for his infamous raids late night against pubs and restaurants in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside