Hazare fast, Cong-NCP bickering hog limelight in Maharashtra
Mumbai: The political landscape in Maharashtra in 2013 saw Sharad Pawar`s NCP seeking to outmanoeuvre Congress, an agitation by sugarcane growers and tussle between the government and Opposition over alleged corruption in irrigation projects.
Rationalist Narendra Dabholkar, who had waged a long battle to pressurise the Maharashtra government to pass the Anti-Black Magic Bill, was killed in Pune in August. After four months and intense protests, the Congress-NCP government ensured passage of the Bill in Maharashtra Assembly.
As the year drew to an end, it was the indefinite fast undertaken by social activist Anna Hazare at his Ralegan Siddhi village for passage of Jan Lokpal Bill, which hogged media space.
Also, the report of the judicial commission of inquiry on the Adarsh scam was tabled in the Legislative Assembly. It was rejected by the state government. The two-member panel headed by Justice (retd) J A Patil indicted several politicians including three former chief ministers -- Vilasrao Deshmukh, Sushilkumar Shinde and Ashok Chavan -- for "blatant violations" of statutory provisions.
The commission came down heavily on those in authority describing the scam as a "bad precedent" which reflected "greed, nepotism and favouritism" by those associated with it.
The public spat between Hazare associate former Army chief Gen VK Singh and AAP leader Gopal Rai in presence of the Gandhian bared the differences between the social activist and his former protege Arvind Kejriwal.
NCP, in its bid to become the senior partner in the ruling alliance in the state after next year`s Assembly polls, left no opportunity to target Congress, specially Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who completed three years at the helm in November.
Perhaps the year`s most telling political statement, came from Pawar, reflecting the state of affairs between the ruling partners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media