Hazare gets acknowledgement of letter written to Sonia
Ahmednagar: Activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday received an acknowledgement of the letter he had written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on December 2 about the passage of Jan Lokpal Bill in Parliament.
"It is only the acknowledgement of Anna`s letter," said Hazare`s personal secretary Datta Awari tonight.
The Gandhian today began his indefinite hunger strike at Ralegan Siddhi village in the district for immediate passage of the Jan Lokpal Bill, saying the government must keep its word on the issue.
Meanwhile, MP and president of Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna Raju Shetty has sent a letter announcing "total and active" support to Hazare`s movement for Jan Lokpal Bill.
Also, more than 200 organisations have sent in their letters of support for Hazare, Awari said.
"On the first day of Hazare`s fast, his supporters held demonstrations in front of district collectorates and tehsil offices in Maharashtra," Awari said.
He informed that volunteers will give letters, appealing MPs to throw their weight behind the Jan Lokpal Bill to ensure its passage in the winter session of Parliament.
Awari also informed that former IPS officer Kiran Bedi is likely to reach Ralegan Siddhi tomorrow to meet Hazare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof