Hazare gets acknowledgement of letter written to Sonia
Ahmednagar: Activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday received an acknowledgement of the letter he had written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on December 2 about the passage of Jan Lokpal Bill in Parliament.
"It is only the acknowledgement of Anna`s letter," said Hazare`s personal secretary Datta Awari tonight.
The Gandhian today began his indefinite hunger strike at Ralegan Siddhi village in the district for immediate passage of the Jan Lokpal Bill, saying the government must keep its word on the issue.
Meanwhile, MP and president of Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatna Raju Shetty has sent a letter announcing "total and active" support to Hazare`s movement for Jan Lokpal Bill.
Also, more than 200 organisations have sent in their letters of support for Hazare, Awari said.
"On the first day of Hazare`s fast, his supporters held demonstrations in front of district collectorates and tehsil offices in Maharashtra," Awari said.
He informed that volunteers will give letters, appealing MPs to throw their weight behind the Jan Lokpal Bill to ensure its passage in the winter session of Parliament.
Awari also informed that former IPS officer Kiran Bedi is likely to reach Ralegan Siddhi tomorrow to meet Hazare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets