Hazare moves Bombay HC, in old defamation case
Mumbai: Anna Hazare, on fast in Delhi demanding a stronger Lokpal Bill, has approached the Bombay High Court seeking quashing of a 2003 defamation case filed against him by a Shiv Sena MLA.
Sureshdada Jain, who was with NCP, and a member of Maharashtra Legislative Council then, had filed the complaint against Hazare over the allegations made by the activist at a press conference in Nanded, in May 2003.
Hazare, during his anti-corruption campaign in the state, had made some allegations against Jain.
The complaints were filed against Hazare in Jalgaon and in Mumbai on June 5, 2003 and June 23, 2003, respectively.
According to Hazare`s petition, the trial before a Jalgaon court was expedited by the Aurangabad bench of the high court. However, there had been no progress in the trial at Mumbai court.
Hazare has alleged in the petition that Jain deliberately chose to proceed with the trial in Jalgaon, but not in Mumbai, to see what defence Hazare takes.
Hazare`s lawyer Rajeev Bhatt said, the case itself should be quashed, or both the cases should be clubbed and tried simultaneously.
Additional public prosecutor Jayesh Yagnik told, the high court that trial in Jalgaon was at the fag end and only Hazare`s final statement under section 313 of the CrPC was to be recorded.
The matter came up before justices A M Khanwilkar and P D Kode today. However Justice Khanwilkar recused himself from the matter saying that he had appeared as a lawyer for Jain once.
The petition would now be placed before another bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city