Hazare spurns title of `Mahatma` by Gram Sabha
Ahmednagar: Deprecating any comparisons
with Mahatma Gandhi, anti-graft campaigner Anna Hazare has
rejected a resolution passed by the Gram Sabha of his native
Ralegan Siddhi village conferring on him the title `Mahatma`.
"I am a simple Indian trying to follow the path of
greats like Gandhiji, Mahatma Phule and Dr BR Ambedkar.
People should try to follow the ethics and values of these
`Mahatmas` in their lives to elevate themselves," the Gandhian
said from Ralegan Siddhi, 50 kms from here.
The village Gram Sabha had passed a resolution on
Gandhi Jayanti yesterday conferring on its famous son the
title of `Mahatma` in recognition of his contributions to the
The septuagenarian asked the villagers not to call him
`Mahatma` as he was against such "deification" for carrying
out his duties as a common citizen.
A statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled outside the
Padmavati temple, where Hazare is staying, to mark the Gandhi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown