Hazare spurns title of `Mahatma` by Gram Sabha
Ahmednagar: Deprecating any comparisons
with Mahatma Gandhi, anti-graft campaigner Anna Hazare has
rejected a resolution passed by the Gram Sabha of his native
Ralegan Siddhi village conferring on him the title `Mahatma`.
"I am a simple Indian trying to follow the path of
greats like Gandhiji, Mahatma Phule and Dr BR Ambedkar.
People should try to follow the ethics and values of these
`Mahatmas` in their lives to elevate themselves," the Gandhian
said from Ralegan Siddhi, 50 kms from here.
The village Gram Sabha had passed a resolution on
Gandhi Jayanti yesterday conferring on its famous son the
title of `Mahatma` in recognition of his contributions to the
The septuagenarian asked the villagers not to call him
`Mahatma` as he was against such "deification" for carrying
out his duties as a common citizen.
A statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled outside the
Padmavati temple, where Hazare is staying, to mark the Gandhi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!