Hazare spurns title of `Mahatma` by Gram Sabha
Ahmednagar: Deprecating any comparisons
with Mahatma Gandhi, anti-graft campaigner Anna Hazare has
rejected a resolution passed by the Gram Sabha of his native
Ralegan Siddhi village conferring on him the title `Mahatma`.
"I am a simple Indian trying to follow the path of
greats like Gandhiji, Mahatma Phule and Dr BR Ambedkar.
People should try to follow the ethics and values of these
`Mahatmas` in their lives to elevate themselves," the Gandhian
said from Ralegan Siddhi, 50 kms from here.
The village Gram Sabha had passed a resolution on
Gandhi Jayanti yesterday conferring on its famous son the
title of `Mahatma` in recognition of his contributions to the
The septuagenarian asked the villagers not to call him
`Mahatma` as he was against such "deification" for carrying
out his duties as a common citizen.
A statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled outside the
Padmavati temple, where Hazare is staying, to mark the Gandhi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'