Hazare to meet Maha leaders over Lokayukta
Mumbai: Anna Hazare will be meeting top political leaders here tomorrow, to garner political support for a strong Lokayukta legislation in Maharashtra.
Hazare would meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar tomorrow morning. He is also expected to meet Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray and MNS chief Raj Thackeray.
Ajit Pawar had met Hazare last year at his Ralegan Siddhi village.
"Anna`s two-day schedule in Mumbai is packed with meetings on Lokayukta issue with those who matter in state politics," Hazare`s aide Datta Awari said.
The Gandhian will also meet Home Minister R R Patil and the leader of opposition in Legislative Council Vinod Tawde, Awari said.
On his arrival in Mumbai this evening, the anti-graft crusader is scheduled to meet RPI leader Ramdas Athawale at the latter`s residence in suburban Bandra, to rally support for a strong Lokayukta Act.
Hazare is embarking on a statewide tour from May 1 to galvanise public support for a strong Lokayukta legislation.
In a letter to the the Chief Minister earlier this month, the 75-year-old activist, whose historic 12-day fast in support of a strong Lokpal bill hogged global limelight last year, said Lokayukta should get more powers under the state law.
"When you took over, we thought that you will enact strong laws to curb corruption. On the contrary, corruption has increased in the state," Hazare wrote to Chavan.
The Hazare-led nationwide movement for the enactment of a strong Lokpal bill evoked good support. However, a similar programme here in December fizzled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read