Hazare village head to contest polls on NCP ticket
Ralegan Siddhi: Anna Hazare may be one of
the most vocal critics of Sharad Pawar and even seemed to
defend the slapping incident involving the Union minister but
he has "no issues" with the Sarpanch of his village contesting
zilla parishad polls on NCP ticket.
"I was approached by NCP leaders and activists
requesting that I should contest the February 7 Zilla Parishad
elections on the party ticket. I sought Anna`s blessings and
permission, which he granted," Ralegan Siddhi Sarpanch
Jaisingh Mapari said today.
Mapari, who was earlier actively associated with NCP,
had stayed away from the party during the past one year when
he was involved with Hazare`s anti-corruption movement.
"I asked Anna if he was okay with my desire to contest
the election. He said he had no issues with it. I have sought
NCP`s candidature for the ZP poll," Mapari said.
"He got slapped! Only one slap?" This was Hazare`s
first reaction to a group of journalists after Pawar was
slapped by a youth in Delhi in November.
"It is increasingly becoming difficult for people to
run their families. When the limit to patience ends, then some
people take law in their own hands and commit such acts,"
Hazare had said in his blog after the incident.
Pawar had lashed out at Hazare for his remarks
justifying the attack, saying "In the recent past, Shri Hazare
by supporting the physical assault on me at a public function
has given a new definition to the concept of `Gandhism` and
Responding to Pawar`s statement, the Gandhian
admitted in his blog that he had "committed violence" when he
reacted that way to the slapping incident but went on to add
that for the betterment of society, "I do not consider this
violence as wrong."
After Hazare`s reaction to Pawar`s being slapped by a
man in New Delhi in November, NCP workers had staged protests
in his village.
Last year, Mapari had led a delegation from Ralegan
Siddhi to Delhi to invite Congress general secretary Rahul
Gandhi to the village but returned without meeting him as
there was no prior appointment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!