`Hazare`s ideas of `Gandhism` are unconvincing`
Mumbai: Flaying Anna Hazare for his statement that Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi should be hanged if found guilty, Maharashtra Congress has said the remark exposes the superficiality of this "modern Gandhi."
"Hazare is quite in character when he says something like this (that Singhvi should be hanged if found guilty). After all, he was the one, who supported binding drunk men to poles and thrashing them," Sachin Sawant, spokesperson of the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) said in a statement released here today.
"Hazare has no moral right to swear by the name of Gandhiji as long as he harbours extremist tendencies like beating people, expressing pleasure if someone slaps someone else, pronouncing judgments on the issues he is not qualified to speak upon and bad mouthing political leaders and bureaucrats," the MPCC spokesperson said in the statement.
One shudders to think about the fate of the nation if such people are allowed to influence state policies, he said.
"We can only hope that the saffron brigade realises the danger of manipulating Team Anna from behind the screen, as it will boomerang on them ultimately," he stated.
Gandhiji believed in changing people`s mindset instead of condemning them, he said, adding, Gandhiji`s spiritual ideas governed his public life.
Anna`s fight against corruption is marred by his proximity to saffron idealists, which Gandhiji would have never associated with for any reason.
Hence, rather than going to Gandhiji`s Samadhi for `Chintan` and putting up his photograph on stage, it would be better if Anna studies Gandhi afresh and also tries to inculcate his principles, else history will say that this was the worst kind of imitation of Gandhi, he said.
Hazare, who is currently touring the state for a stronger Lokayukta Act, yesterday said in Beed that Singhvi should be hanged if found "guilty" in connection with the controversial CD purportedly showing him in a compromising position with a woman.
"Singhvi should be hanged if found guilty," Hazare had said. Singhvi, who quit as Congress spokesperson after the scandal broke out, has however maintained that the CD was fake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS