Hazare`s village observes day-long shut down
Ralegan-Siddhi: As Anna Hazare observed a token fast at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, residents of his native Ralegan-Siddhi supported him with a total shutdown in the village.
"Nearly 2,000 people have gathered near the Padmavati temple and the village has been shut down entirely. You will not find a single shop open," Hazare`s close associate Anil Sharma said.
"More than half of the 2,300 strong village are sitting on a token fast to support Anna. They will break their fast in the evening when Anna does," he added.
Residents of Ralegan-Siddhi have in the past supported him through various forms of non-violent agitation, including a "no bath day" to show their solidarity with Hazare.
Before starting their fast, the residents prayed for Hazare`s long life and thanked him for taking forward the cause of the common man.
Hazare is holding a fast in New Delhi to protest a `weak` Lokpal Bill prepared by a Parliamentary panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16