Hazare`s village observes day-long shut down
Ralegan-Siddhi: As Anna Hazare observed a token fast at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, residents of his native Ralegan-Siddhi supported him with a total shutdown in the village.
"Nearly 2,000 people have gathered near the Padmavati temple and the village has been shut down entirely. You will not find a single shop open," Hazare`s close associate Anil Sharma said.
"More than half of the 2,300 strong village are sitting on a token fast to support Anna. They will break their fast in the evening when Anna does," he added.
Residents of Ralegan-Siddhi have in the past supported him through various forms of non-violent agitation, including a "no bath day" to show their solidarity with Hazare.
Before starting their fast, the residents prayed for Hazare`s long life and thanked him for taking forward the cause of the common man.
Hazare is holding a fast in New Delhi to protest a `weak` Lokpal Bill prepared by a Parliamentary panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet