HC allows 1993 blasts convict to attend daughter`s wedding
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday granted permission from June 1 to June 6 to a life-term convict of the 1993 serial blasts to attend his daughter`s wedding in Ahmedabad with the police escort.
A vacation bench headed by Justice AM Thipsay was hearing a petition filed by Mohammad Mushtaq Tarani seeking to be released on parole for the purpose.
The state government had rejected the parole petition but said Tarani could be allowed to attend the function with the police escort.
Tarani`s advocate Farhana Shah had, however, said that the convict was poor and could not afford to pay for the escort.
The high court said that Tarani need not pay any advance towards the escort charges for now.
The court has posted the petition for final hearing on June 17.
Tarani had been awarded death penalty by a trial court for planting bombs at Juhu Centaur Hotel and Sheikh Memon Street on March 12, 1993, when serial explosions rocked Mumbai, and for being part of the conspiracy. However, the Supreme Court commuted his death sentence into life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in BMC, but BJP gains lead in Pune