HC allows Shiv Sena`s Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today asked
the police and municipal authorities to allow Shiv Sena`s
annual Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park grounds, but said the
organisers must abide by Noise Pollution Control Rules, 2010.
As per the rules, in silence zones, noise level cannot
exceed 50 decibel.
Sena has been holding the Dusshera rally at Shivaji Park
for over four decades, but this year police refused them
permission to use loudspeakers, because the High Court, in
response to a PIL filed by Wecom Trust, had asked authorities
to declare the area as silence zone.
Therefore, Anil Parab, a Sena worker, had moved the
court. Interestingly, when his petition was heard today, both
Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and state government
MCGM lawyer, senior counsel K K Singhvi said that to hold
a public meeting was a "fundamental right", and "it was
state`s duty to provide place for public meeting...People have
a right to assemble and express themselves".
Leaders such as Jawaharlal Nehru, Subhash Chandra Bose,
Comrade Dange had spoken at rallies at Shivaji Park in the
past, he said.
State government`s pleader, Advocate Dhairyashil
Nalavade, too, said that "larger public interest" was involved
in the matter, and there was "shortfall of places in the city
where people can congregate".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical