HC asks cops to act on complaint against Tatkare
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday directed the city police to respond to and take appropriate steps under law on a complaint filed against Maharashtra Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by BJP MP Kirit Somaiya for alleged money-laundering and land grabbing.
Rapping the police for its lackadaisical "attitude" towards the complaint, a division bench of Justices A M Khanwilkar and K K Tated directed the Economic Offences Wing of the city police to call upon the complainant (Somaiya) and collect information from him regarding the allegations and then take appropriate steps in accordance with law.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by Somaiya seeking probe by a Special Investigation Team into alleged the money laundering and land grabbing by various companies floated by Tatkare and his family.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The officer has not even come out of his office. The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," Justice Khanwilkar said.
Advocate General Darius Khambata told the court that Anti Corruption Bureau has looked into the complaint and filed a status report.
The bench, however, said since there are allegations of money laundering and benami transactions as well, the EOW will be the proper authority to probe the case.
The court has now directed the Joint Commissioner of EOW to call upon the petitioner to take down his statement and then take further steps. The matter has been posted for hearing on February 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145