HC asks cops to produce ex-SIMI leader Saquib Nachan on Oct 21
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday asked police to produce jailed former SIMI functionary and POTA détenu Saquib Nachan before it on October 21 in connection with his petition seeking discharge in the 2003 bomb blasts case, in which he is prime accused.
When the matter came up for hearing, a bench headed by Justice PV Hardas was informed that the escort police team had already left the Thane jail, but had not reached the court along with the accused.
The court then ordered police to produce Nachan on October 21 when the petition would be heard.
Nachan has pleaded that although 10 years had passed, the trial had not yet begun and that there was no material with the prosecution to connect him with the crime.
At the last hearing, the prosecution had sought time to argue and hence the matter was posted today for arguments.
A series of blasts had rocked Mulund, Vile Parle and Bombay Central between December 2002 and March 2003 in which ten persons were killed and over 50 injured.
Following the blasts, Nachan was arrested under POTA and tried in a special designated court.
Earlier, the High Court had granted a stay on the trial and asked the state and police not to proceed against Nachan until further orders on the petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack