HC asks for status quo at Adarsh building
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today directed
for status quo to be maintained at the scam-hit Adarsh Society
building in south Mumbai pending hearing on the latest
petition filed by Defence Ministry.
A division bench of Justices P B Majmudar and R D
Dhanuka was hearing a petition filed by the Union Ministry of
Defence seeking implementation of an order passed by the
Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) directing demolition
of the 31-storey Adarsh building.
According to the defence ministry, the plush society is
built inside Colaba military station in south Mumbai and was a
security threat as it looks over vital installations of the
"No one has the right to ignore the security of the
nation. Defence of the country is first, rest all is
secondary," Justice Majmudar observed.
The court while posting the petition for hearing on
April 30 directed for status quo to be maintained.
"Concerned authorities are restrained from issuing NOC,
Occupation Certificate (OC), Commencement Certificate (CC) or
any other development facility to the society pending hearing
of this petition," the court said.
The bench also observed that the state government before
granting permission to Adarsh should have insisted on an NOC
from the defence ministry.
Government pleader D N Nalavade informed the court that
after the Adarsh scam came to light a circular has been issued
on November 4, 2010 making it mandatory to seek NOC from
defence ministry in cases where construction is near a defence
The court was also informed that the MMRDA had already
revoked the OC granted to the society and electricity and
water supply were disconnected and no member has occupied the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27