HC asks govt for anti-illegal construction policy
Mumbai: Lambasting the Maharashtra government for its failure to curb illegal constructions across the state, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed the government to come up with a comprehensive policy to address the issue.
A division bench of Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Amjad Sayed was hearing a petition filed by Pune-based NGO Kranti Shetkari Sangh against mushrooming of illegal structures in Pune, that do not come under the jurisdiction of Pune Municipal Corporation or the Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation.
The high court had in 2012 directed the government to demolish 23 such illegal structures in that area at the earliest. However, the government on Friday filed an application, seeking time till December 2013 to comply with the demolition order.
"The demolition of 23 buildings would cost over Rs 2.50 crore. The government will also have to outsource manpower," assistant government pleader Nitin Deshpande said.
While the court granted time only till August 2013, Justice Chandrachud said, "We want to know what you (government) are doing to stop illegal constructions? The victim in this is the innocent flat purchasers. The developers wash their hands off."
The court directed the government to come up with a comprehensive policy to curb the issue. It also directed the government to form a planning authority under the MRTP Act to look into unauthorised constructions coming up in areas outside municipal limits.
"We want the government to commence inquiry and accord blame on errant officials. Find out who is responsible," the court said.
The court has posted the matter on July 15 by when the government will have to state what steps it has taken to form the policy.
According to Deshpande, the state had issued notices to builders, after which the flat owners, too, approached the government to hear their side.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know