HC asks govt for anti-illegal construction policy
Mumbai: Lambasting the Maharashtra government for its failure to curb illegal constructions across the state, the Bombay High Court on Friday directed the government to come up with a comprehensive policy to address the issue.
A division bench of Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Amjad Sayed was hearing a petition filed by Pune-based NGO Kranti Shetkari Sangh against mushrooming of illegal structures in Pune, that do not come under the jurisdiction of Pune Municipal Corporation or the Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation.
The high court had in 2012 directed the government to demolish 23 such illegal structures in that area at the earliest. However, the government on Friday filed an application, seeking time till December 2013 to comply with the demolition order.
"The demolition of 23 buildings would cost over Rs 2.50 crore. The government will also have to outsource manpower," assistant government pleader Nitin Deshpande said.
While the court granted time only till August 2013, Justice Chandrachud said, "We want to know what you (government) are doing to stop illegal constructions? The victim in this is the innocent flat purchasers. The developers wash their hands off."
The court directed the government to come up with a comprehensive policy to curb the issue. It also directed the government to form a planning authority under the MRTP Act to look into unauthorised constructions coming up in areas outside municipal limits.
"We want the government to commence inquiry and accord blame on errant officials. Find out who is responsible," the court said.
The court has posted the matter on July 15 by when the government will have to state what steps it has taken to form the policy.
According to Deshpande, the state had issued notices to builders, after which the flat owners, too, approached the government to hear their side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information