HC asks Maha govt to enact laws to tackle crimes against women
Mumbai: Taking a serious note of the recent spate of rape and molestation cases, the Bombay High Court on Friday said Maharashtra government should not wait for Parliament to amend laws and asked it to bring about changes in its own statute to tackle the menace.
"Maharashtra is considered a progressive state. If sections like 354, 506 and 509 of IPC are made non-bailable then it will act as a deterrent," a division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice AV Mohta said.
While section 354 and 506 deal with assault and use of criminal force to outrage the modesty of a woman, and criminal intimidation, 509 relates to use of word, gesture or an act intended to insult their modesty.
The bench was hearing a public interest litigation filed by city based NGO Help Mumbai Foundation regarding women`s safety in the city.
According to the NGO, 97 percent females above the age of 15 have faced sexual abuse or eve teasing.
The high court has directed the state government to consider amending the law and file an affidavit within four weeks.
"Tamil Nadu has recently passed an act against eve teasing. Maharashtra can also follow and set an example," chief justice Shah said.
"Because these offences are bailable men think they will get away after passing lewd comments, " the court said.
The court has also sought an affidavit from the railway authorities on recruitment and deployment of women constables and home guards at railway stations and local trains.
The state government has also been asked to say what steps it has taken pursuant to directions issued by the Supreme Court on November 3, 2012 to all state governments regarding eve teasing.
It asked the government to submit the recommendations made by the C S Dharmadhikari committee regarding women safety issues.
The matter will be heard next on January 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA