HC asks Maha govt to give list of unrecognised schools in state
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the Maharashtra government to furnish a list of unrecognised schools in the state following a PIL that claimed that there were 43 illegal schools in Solapur district.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice A V Mohta was hearing a petition filed by social worker Rajendra Patil seeking action against the 43 illegal schools in Solapur and also against several other such schools across the state.
Government counsel Nitin Deshpande informed the court that the Director of Education has been asked by the government to inquire into the matter.
The high court then directed the government to file an affidavit by April 15 along with a list of those schools running without following norms.
Patil`s petition states that in spite of having written letters to the education authorities in the district and state last year, no action has been initiated yet.
Petitioner`s lawyer Machindra Patil said that there are thousands of such bogus schools in the state being run with the help of political connections.
The petition states that the parents and guardians of the students of such schools have been kept in the dark about no permissions taken to run the schools thereby playing fraud on the students and their parents.
The state government has laid down norms and guidelines for opening recognised schools. However, the schools named in the RTI list have not followed any such norms, the petition states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof