HC asks minister to file affidavit declaring income sources
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday asked Maharashtra Medical Education Minister to file an affidavit in response to a PIL seeking his and his family members` prosecution for allegedly amassing assets disproportionate to the known sources of income.
The bench headed by Justice S J Vajifdar asked the NCP leader Dr Vijaykumar Gavit to declare, in the affidavit, the sources of income from which he purchased properties alleged in the PIL. It is to be filed by March 7.
Advocate Uday Warunjikar, petitioner`s lawyer, said Gavit`s father was a teacher in Nandurbar. Gavit himself worked as a lecturer until 1994. His last monthly salary in June 1994 was Rs 9,715, according to the petitioners, who are Nashik-based activist.
His brother Sharad worked as a Class-IV employee in the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation. His last drawn salary in 1994 was Rs 1,290.
Gavit was elected as MLA in 1994 and made Tribal Development Minister. His brother was transferred to Mantralaya as a special officer. Sharad, too, was elected as an MLA from Navapur constituency in 2009.
Warunjikar said the information acquired through the Right To Information Act showed Gavit having personal assets of Rs 1.3 crore, and his family`s assets (in the name of wife and daughters) were worth Rs 1.5 crore.
Nomination papers filed by Gavit in 2009 showed his assets at Rs 2.23 crore and his family`s assets at Rs 4.78 crore.
"The rise in his wealth after he became minister shows that it was generated by using illegal means, taking undue advantage of his status as a Member of Legislative Assembly and as a minister," the PIL alleges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says