HC asks trial court to expedite Jyotirmoy Dey murder case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has asked the trial court to expedite trial in the journalist Jyotirmoy Dey murder case and said accused Paulson Joseph could approach the court for bail, if the trial does not commence within four months.
"Considering that the applicant (Paulson) is in custody since September 2011, it would be proper if the court expedites the trial," Justice A M Thipsay said.
The court accepted Paulson`s advocate Ashok Mundargi`s contention that the accused would not press for a bail application if the trial is expedited.
Justice Thipsay said that the accused could approach the court for bail, if the trial does not commence within four months.
Paulson and ten others, including journalist Jigna Vora, were arrested by the crime branch in connection with Dey`s murder. Dey was shot dead on June 11, 2011, in suburban Powai, allegedly at the behest of underworld don Chhota Rajan.
Paulson is accused of supplying international subscriber identity module (SIM) cards to Dey`s assassins, as well as co-ordinating between them and Rajan.
According to the prosecution, Chhota Rajan allegedly instructed Paulson to give Rs 2 lakh and an international SIM card to Satish Kalia, who shot Dey.
However, as per Paulson`s confession, he had given the money and SIM card to a stout and dark-skinned man who identified himself as `Sameer`, outside a mall in Vashi, after the two men identified each other by their clothing information which Rajan had provided them.
They spoke to each other using false names, Paulson had confessed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack