HC asks trial court to expedite Jyotirmoy Dey murder case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has asked the trial court to expedite trial in the journalist Jyotirmoy Dey murder case and said accused Paulson Joseph could approach the court for bail, if the trial does not commence within four months.
"Considering that the applicant (Paulson) is in custody since September 2011, it would be proper if the court expedites the trial," Justice A M Thipsay said.
The court accepted Paulson`s advocate Ashok Mundargi`s contention that the accused would not press for a bail application if the trial is expedited.
Justice Thipsay said that the accused could approach the court for bail, if the trial does not commence within four months.
Paulson and ten others, including journalist Jigna Vora, were arrested by the crime branch in connection with Dey`s murder. Dey was shot dead on June 11, 2011, in suburban Powai, allegedly at the behest of underworld don Chhota Rajan.
Paulson is accused of supplying international subscriber identity module (SIM) cards to Dey`s assassins, as well as co-ordinating between them and Rajan.
According to the prosecution, Chhota Rajan allegedly instructed Paulson to give Rs 2 lakh and an international SIM card to Satish Kalia, who shot Dey.
However, as per Paulson`s confession, he had given the money and SIM card to a stout and dark-skinned man who identified himself as `Sameer`, outside a mall in Vashi, after the two men identified each other by their clothing information which Rajan had provided them.
They spoke to each other using false names, Paulson had confessed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing