HC bans sand excavation in Maharashtra
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has restrained the Maharashtra Government from allowing excavation of sand in drought-hit villages, saying it would cause shortage of potable water for people and animals.
The Court was hearing a petition filed by Rajendra Eknath Dhande, who sought a direction to the authorities to disallow sand excavation in drought-hit Khatgaon village of Karmala taluka in Solapur district.
Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Anoop Mohta were of the view that sand excavation in drought-hit areas should be banned totally as it deprives the people of their basic requirement of water.
In drought-hit areas, already there was shortage of potable water and if sand excavation was allowed it would result in aggravating the problem, the Court said in an order last week.
The judges took into account a certificate issued by the Executive Engineer of Rural Water Supply Department, Zilla Parishad, Solapur, which said excavation of sand in drought-hit areas will result into serious problem for drinking water for people and animals.
Hearing the petition earlier, the Court had issued notice to respondents on Februrary 21 and made it returnable on February 28 in view of the urgency of the matter.
The petition would come up for hearing again next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing