HC cancels bail of 2003 Mumbai blasts accused
Mumbai: In a new development in 2003 Mumbai triple blasts case, the Bombay High Court has cancelled the bail of Dr Wahid Abdul Shaikh, one of the accused, observing that there was prima facie evidence against him.
Bench of Justices Abhay Oka and Srihari Davare, while cancelling the bail of Dr Shaikh on August 17, asked him to surrender before the trial court here.
The bomb blasts had occurred at Mulund, Mumbai Central and Vile Parle here, killing 12 and injuring 141.
Shaikh was arrested soon after the blasts. Altogether 19 accused are facing the trial.
The Court was hearing appeal filed by Maharashtra Government, challenging bail granted to Dr Wahid in February 2011. Government pleaded that police had seized material used for making bombs from the accused`s clinic in suburban Saki Naka.
The HC, in its ruling, also asked Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) Court (which is trying the case) to reconsider the bail granted to prime accused Saquib Nachan, a leader of banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
The Government`s case is that Nachan conspired to "wage war against the country" by avenging the demolition of Babri Masjid, Gujarat riots and other atrocities against Muslims.
The division bench asked the Government to file a petition before the trial court seeking cancellation of Nachan`s bail. The trial court will have to decide the plea within 12 weeks.
Nachan was arrested on April 10, 2003, and got bail only on January 31 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security