HC cancels bail of 2003 Mumbai blasts accused
Mumbai: In a new development in the 2003 Mumbai triple blasts case, the Bombay High Court has cancelled the bail of Wahid Abdul Shaikh, one of the accused, observing that there was prima facie evidence against him.
A division bench of Justices Abhay Oka and Srihari Davare, while cancelling the bail of Shaikh on August 17, asked him to surrender before the trial court here.
The bomb blasts had occurred at Mulund, Mumbai Central and Vile Parle here in 2003, killing 12 people and injuring 141 others.
Shaikh was arrested soon after the blasts. Altogether 19 accused are facing the trial.
The High Court was hearing appeal filed by Maharashtra government, challenging bail granted to Wahid in February last year. The government pleaded that police had seized material used for making bombs from the accused`s clinic in suburban Saki Naka.
The High Court, in its ruling, also asked the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court (which is trying the case) to reconsider the bail granted to prime accused Saquib Nachan, a leader of banned outfit SIMI.
The government`s case is that Nachan conspired to "wage war against the country" by avenging the demolition of Babri Masjid, Gujarat riots and other atrocities against Muslims.
The division bench asked the government to file a petition before the trial court seeking cancellation of Nachan`s bail. The trial court will have to decide the plea within 12 weeks.
Nachan was arrested on April 10, 2003, and got bail on January 31 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof