HC comes down hard on police in Pune land-mafia case
Mumbai: Dealing with a land-mafia case, the
Bombay High Court today came down hard on two Pune police
officers, saying they had brought shame to the `vardi`
The court issued show cause notice to the two officers of
Shivajinagar police station -- Inspector Rahul Yewale and PSI
Sandip Ghorpade-- as to why they should not be made co-accused
in the case.
According to the petition filed by Pune-based
documentary-maker Poornima Prabhu, some 50 goons ransacked her
house in Shivajinagar area on December 29, 2008. Her brother,
Rajiv Prabhu, was badly beaten up and had to be hospitalised.
The goons had been allegedly sent by Congress corporator
Deepak Mankar and his brother Shivaji in an attempt to evict
them from the rented premises they live in.
According to Prabhu, when she called police, no help
came, and eventually police recorded a complaint of assault
against Prabhus too, alongwith the complaint filed by Prabhus
against Mankar and others.
After perusing the record, Division bench of Justices B H
Marlapalle and Anup Mohta said, "If this happens in Pune, God
alone knows what happens to security of people elsewhere."
Referring to the role of senior police inspector Rahul
Yewale (now suspended) and PSI Sandip Ghorpade, who Prabhu
alleges were present during the ransacking but did nothing,
Judges said: "They have shamed the `vardi` ...They don`t
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says