HC comes down hard on police in Pune land-mafia case
Mumbai: Dealing with a land-mafia case, the
Bombay High Court today came down hard on two Pune police
officers, saying they had brought shame to the `vardi`
The court issued show cause notice to the two officers of
Shivajinagar police station -- Inspector Rahul Yewale and PSI
Sandip Ghorpade-- as to why they should not be made co-accused
in the case.
According to the petition filed by Pune-based
documentary-maker Poornima Prabhu, some 50 goons ransacked her
house in Shivajinagar area on December 29, 2008. Her brother,
Rajiv Prabhu, was badly beaten up and had to be hospitalised.
The goons had been allegedly sent by Congress corporator
Deepak Mankar and his brother Shivaji in an attempt to evict
them from the rented premises they live in.
According to Prabhu, when she called police, no help
came, and eventually police recorded a complaint of assault
against Prabhus too, alongwith the complaint filed by Prabhus
against Mankar and others.
After perusing the record, Division bench of Justices B H
Marlapalle and Anup Mohta said, "If this happens in Pune, God
alone knows what happens to security of people elsewhere."
Referring to the role of senior police inspector Rahul
Yewale (now suspended) and PSI Sandip Ghorpade, who Prabhu
alleges were present during the ransacking but did nothing,
Judges said: "They have shamed the `vardi` ...They don`t
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!